nuffnag ads

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Apom

On a  one fine morning when I was diligently working in the office, calling from clients to clients to collect the magazine materials, at a quick peep of my Facebook,  a picture posted by my friend had instantly grabbed my attention.

This is not the exact picture posted by my friend, but it is definitely the food he was having.
(picture courtesy to GOOGLE image)
You may start thinking is this Apom (the food in the above picture) is my favourite food or I have some kind of addiction towards it.
No, the answer is no. It is not my favourite food.
However, there's a Manis (sweet) connection of this food to my childhood.

The food reminds me of when my sisters and I were still children and had our overnight stays at my grandmother's house during school holidays. It was like a customary thing in our family that my cousins and us would visit our grandma and stay there for a few days, a few times a year. My cousins, my sisters and I would play, fight, chat together from day to night. Sometimes we also eavesdropped on the topics being discussed by the adults after we were exhausted chasing each other in the big old house of my grandma.

Every morning when we woke up in a fully crammed gradma's small room, (imagine a small room with one single bed and one queen size bed but being crammed with  9 people), my mom would wait for the moving Apom stall to pass by her used-to be house. The Apom stall was run by an Indian woman/ man ( I can't really remember the gender, but it was definitely an Indian). My mom would order for 50/ 100 pieces of Apom for the few families in the house. Since it is not easy to make such many apoms instantly by a small stall, it could take up to an hour to complete our order. The young mischievous us would then bring batch by batch of Apom into the house, eat the sweet crispy breakfast and started our new day with more games and fun activities!

No comments :

Total Pageviews