nuffnag ads

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ipoh food Week 2

Oh...This is my first ever post dedicating to food, more specifically, Ipoh food that I had chance to taste over this weekend.

As I have limited knowledge about many food names, please bear with me if I name any food wrongly. 
I am excited to share my experience of the food I had, and may be some humble personal opinions on how to improve the food. 
I am not a food expert/ chef/ gourmet, but I think I have the right to tell how I feel about the food I eat right?

OK, let's stop all the babble and continue to the food.

Tou Fu Fa from Funny Mountain/奇峰
LOL!!Just realize the stall has funny English name. I like it. It is not overly sweet. I could eat/drink the whole tou fu fa and the syrup without feeling disgusting because of excessive sweetness. I am not a Tou Fu Fa person, but this tou fu fa is really smooth. Honestly, I cant remember the ones I had in my hometown or anywhere, because I rarely have it and most of the time I eat it 
 just to satisfy my sweet teeth!
See its name?? I dont lie!
 We had it there last week. You have to queue up and stand at the corridor of the shop lot to enjoy the yummy tou fu fa or ta bao it back if u like! They sell soya bean milk too!



And in the afternoon, Mr T (my friend) brought me to Da Shu Jiao 兵如港大树脚,  and being touristy again! We came here under the recommendation of my friend who told me that this place sells the best Asam Laksa aka Laksa in Ipoh. How can I miss this food?!

Some random Rojak sold there. "Stinky, Pricey and not delicious" is enough to describe this food.
A lot of comment to this food: the Rojak source is heavily based on Shrimp Paste which makes it stinky, cheap combination of food, a few slices of mango (which is what I need a lot in Rojak) with sengkuang (turnips), tibum (cucumber) ,not even a piece of pineapple and a lot of cheap biscuit on top. *pissed* . I have to stuff all this down even it is stinky as I loath wasting food!
Asam Laksa
Being a Laksa person ( I have it everyday back in hometown now; everyday in the canteen when I was in primary school;almost everyday after/before tuition during secondary school), this Laksa is good, but you know it cant beat my Pang Long Laksa which can be found in Parit Buntar! Overall, I am satisfied with its taste, sourness, freshness and it is not oily as compared the one I had in Taman Pertama pasar malam during my first week stay in Ipoh.
Ipoh famous 炸料, fried food...
I only realize that the local like to have this food as side dish along with their noodles they have!
My opinion: Taste Okay, oily, unhealthy, I will only eat this once in a while/small amount if ever want to eat it again..
I sweated a lot while eating this with my Laksa...It was damn uncomfortable, when you are trying to concentrate on the taste of your(my!) staple food -laksa while you were sweating hard and all the oil was oozing out from every pores available on your skin!!



Zhu Chang Fen at  糖水街 Tong Sui Kai
So in the evening, after buying myself 2 formal shirts (for my intern) at AEON mall, Mr T's brother brought us to Tong Sui Kai to have supper! I love this Zhu Chang Fen as the sauce they use is sweet and not of those stinky shrimp paste (again) which is now commonly found in my hometown. I miss how the  Zhu Chang Fen tasted like this back then.. HEY..where all the delicious Nibong Tebal Zhu Chang Fen gone to har??
Ice with mixed fruits topping - 什果冰
The food is enticing with its colorful mixed fruits toppings! 
I love fruits! 
But, I dont like the syrup and condensed milk they pour on the ice. I prefer the ice is made less sweet or like those fruit ice blended drenched in their own fruit juice, so that it wont cover the natural sweetness of these fruits. The taste of syrup and condensed milk also makes my stomach stuffy!


Take 2. Trying to take nice pictures!

辉记鱼粉。。Dunno how to translate..Bihon vermicelli with fish.
I dont have much comment on it. Not something that can instantly invigorate my taste buds but I think I will come to eat it again if I have chance.
The sweet sour soup mixed with fresh milk is something new to me but it doesnt taste weird at all!

炖蛋。。Caramel custard
Not much comment also. It is Okay. I like the lingering egg smell it has when travelling down my oesophagus and the caramel syrup is not overly sweet (or I am too 重口味?? and i should watch my sugar intake so I wont have diabetes later in my life?). Personally, I like sweet stuff. So, I like it. But I wont LOVE it as much as I LOVE LAKSA!



And now, do you have any suggestion of the places I should visit in Ipoh and the food I must taste/test??
I dont want to go back without exploring this place and its food~~~

No comments :

Total Pageviews